When I talk about selling websites people usually think the only way to succeed in industry is to monetize a website, make some money and then sell it. First, it is a great idea to prove that you are making money from the website and it helps your sale go better! However, your website does not have to be an already “Money Making Website”. Second, if your website does not make you any money it MUST have another advantage to make buyers keep an eye on it.
I’m not going to talk about selling proven money making websites here. That’s something that has been talked about several times everywhere. What I’m going to cover in this post is “How to sell a website that does not make any money”. You might be saying “No one cares about a website that does not make any money” but I’d say “I’ve done it before so give me a few minutes and I’ll reveal the strategy”
Let’s go through it step by step. This is the exact things that I do by following order.
Study the Market
Like everything else in online business you have to do your own research and see what is currently selling. I’ll give you some valuable tips here but make sure you take action based on your own thoughts. Head to flippa.com (The largest website auction market place on the internet). Take a look around and was sold recently. Go further more and take a look the websites that were sold last week. Just ignore the websites that have made some money and look for those sites that are brand new or have no income. They have either traffic or “A Marketing Plan”. If your website already receives some traffic then you can sell it on flippa but you need to make sure that your traffic is able to be monetized. Well, if it was, then you would have made some money with you website, am I right?
In this post I want to talk about those websites that are brand new but still sell! By now, you must have found a few of them on flippa. See what they have in common. Take a look at the sellers’ profiles. Have they sold similar websites? Take a look at the listings. What they offer in their listings? Do they claim anything?
Go ahead and do a little bit of research on the site. Is that a WordPress site? Most of the time the answer is “Yes”. Is that a specific theme or you can do it by any other theme out there? Just do not think about any details we are just trying to figure out how the seller made the website. It is not the right time to think about graphics, codes, plugins, or themes! This is our first look, if the website looks easy to make then we’ll go ahead and do something about the details. Is that website something that you can do again and again?
Who are your competitors?
Now, you need to figure out if there exist any other sellers on flippa who do the same websites. A “No” answer is actually better. At least there should be only a few of people doing the same thing. If anyone out there is doing that then it means you have lots of competitors and that’s not we are looking for.
By now, you must know how many competitors you have (hopefully just a few). This is the time that you need to make sure about every single step of making a similar website to that one. Probably you know 80% of the process but there is only 20% of it that is still a mystery to you. Let me a confession here, I like mysteries and maybe that’s why I’m making money from this strategy.
Solve the Mystery
If you were not able to get to the final answer then next place could be asking an expert. Go to a forum that you know or ask a friend that you know is an expert in the field of your question. Also, there is another benefit in contacting experts in website building business and that’s making contacts and friends that will help you a lot in the long run.
If none of above helped you find your answer you may want to spend some money and buy a similar website on flippa. This should be your last choice since those websites are not cheap but this way you’re headache is gone completely. You can easily take a look at the website source code or ask the buyer all of your questions. Just keep in mind you want to sound like a real buyer otherwise the sellers do not want to reveal their secrets to their competitors. And again, this should be your last choice. Well, you can do it at first if you don’t; mind spending your money.
Outsource the Difficult Parts
If you need to outsource any part of the website in this step you can hire some professional person do it for you. Before making your decision, read my other post about outsourcing your tasks. At the end of this step you should have your website on a registered domain (this needs to be a related domain name) up and running. I know, it is a long process but I suppose everyone who works online should know how to buy domain and set up a WordPress website.
Post the website listing on flippa
A few tips
- I want to say it again, Do not Underestimate The Power of Your Site Listing.
- Using graphics adds more value to your website.
- You can write a 5-10 pages guide on “How to Monetize This Website” and give to the buyer. Trust me, you’ll get more bidders by just giving away a short monetization report. You need to write only once and give it to the buyers for every similar website you sell after on.
- Be Creative. Instead of reverse engineering you can even have your own ideas and make a website around them. Actually this is where I make most of my money. If it is your idea it means barely anyone else is doing it so, yours is new to the market and anything new has a huge demand.
Ooooof, it was a long post. I hope you enjoyed reading it. Share it with your friends if you like it and let me know what you think about this strategy by dropping a line in the comments area below.
Leave a comment
- Once Again My Online Reputation In Internet Marketing – I’m Back Again!
- Info Products – Why You Need To Be Careful About Them
- How Crucial Is Your Online Reputation? – My Own Recent Story
- How to Make Money Selling Brand New Websites – My Exact Step by Step Strategy
- Why You Should Have a Plan and Stick to It – Part II
- Omid on Info Products – Why You Need To Be Careful About Them
- Omid on How to Make Money Selling Brand New Websites – My Exact Step by Step Strategy
- stacey on How to Make Money Selling Brand New Websites – My Exact Step by Step Strategy
- stacey on Info Products – Why You Need To Be Careful About Them
- Omid on Why You Should Have a Plan and Stick to It – Part II